TOP Music Hikes & Story Walks
TOP Music Hikes & Story Walks geo-tag music and audio stories to specific trails and routes in and around Ann Arbor.
Spare Key is a fictionalized story set in downtown Ann Arbor and featuring landmarks and shops.
The music hikes focus on trails and spotlight music artists originally scheduled to appear on the 2020 Top of the Park music stages.
Before going on your hike:
- Go to the App Store and download the app “ECHOES interactive sound walks“
- Open the app and create an account
- Allow the app to use your location while using the app
- Find the hike you want to take by either looking under “near you” or using the search bar
- Download the hike(s) you would like to your phone by tapping “Download walk” to avoid using data from streaming
- When you arrive at the starting point, open the app again, choose the walk, press start, and enjoy the hike!
Notes for your trek:
- If you arrive at the end of a blue zone, pause and wait for the song to end.
- There may be gaps in the music. That is okay. Enjoy the silence if it happens.
- If songs begin to overlap, you can pause the walk, re-start it, and this will correct the issue.
- To view the playlist, tap on the menu button in the upper right-hand corner while in the hike.
If you have any questions or issues, please email email@example.com and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
Follow a story shared by U-M doctoral student Javier who brings his long-distance boyfriend Gabriel on a walking tour of their favorite places in Ann Arbor. Gabriel, who lives in Columbus, OH, is about to accept a job in New York City, so Javier takes this opportunity to creatively ask Gabriel to move to Ann Arbor to be with him. It incorporates the following locations: Downtown AADL, Frita Batidos, Blank Slate Creamery, Encore Records, The Ark, and Necto.
Written by Emilio Rodriguez
“Javier” played by José Martinez-Chavarria
A production of the Ann Arbor Summer Festival in partnership with the Ann Arbor District Library
Produced and Directed by A2SF Programming & Operations Manager James Carter
Associate Producer & A2SF Operations Intern – Lucy Freeman
Mike Michelon, A2SF Executive Director
Natalie Robbins, Marketing & Communications Manager
Looking for an AADL Summer Game Code? Well, you found it: Enter KEYTOHISHEART at PLAY.AADL.ORG to earn 200 points!
Gallup Park – Jazz/Funk/Blues
Two hikes live in this location: East Loop and West Loop. East Loop is mostly boardwalk, flat dirt, or pavement, and accessible, while West Loop is a dirt trail along the river and less accessible.
- Orquesta RITMO
- Chris Canas Band
- Planet D Nonet
- Aston Neighborhood Pleasure Club
- Saints of Soul
Looking for an AADL Summer Game Code? Well, you found it: Enter GRANDGALLUP at PLAY.AADL.ORG to earn 200 points!
Scio Woods Preserve
Two hikes live in this location: Inner Loop which is shorter and features songs for the whole family. Outer Loop which is geared toward adults. Neither trail is ADA accessible.
Looking for an AADL Summer Game Code? Well, you found it: Enter INDIEWALK at PLAY.AADL.ORG to earn 200 points!
Bird Hills Nature Area
One hike at this location: Generally, a hilly, wooded hike with a higher level of difficulty. This hike through the Bird Hills Nature Area is approximately 2.3 miles/1.5 hour-long, moderately trafficked, and labeled as moderate intensity. Not ADA accessible.
Looking for an AADL Summer Game Code? Well, you found it: Enter NEWPORTOLDHILLS at PLAY.AADL.ORG to earn 200 points!
North Bay Trail
One hike at this location: This hike through the North Bay Trail is approximately 1.4 miles/45 minutes long and good for all skill levels. ADA accessible.
- Cross-Eyed Strangers
- Pancho Villa’s Skull
- Misty Lyn & the Big Beautiful
- Frontier Ruckus
- Aubrey Haddard
Special thanks to O&W, Inc., a leading beer distributor in Southeastern Michigan. They are a fifth-generation, family-owned and operated business that has generously supported the festival for over three decades.